Real Economic Opportunity for Women in the Workplace
June 23rd, 2014 | SEIU
Being a part of the SEIU Local 99 Family Child Care Providers Union is one of the best moves I could have made. It helped me see that we are stronger together. Together, we can fight injustice and win.
Over the years, I have shared conversations
with state and federal lawmakers that have led to bills, and finally to
laws that have made life easier for people in my community and parents
of the children in my care. I have stood in solidarity with other
providers and shared stories about the wonderful work we do with
legislators and even with our governor.
Women make up nearly two-thirds of all low
wage workers in this country. When we come together and bargain
collectively, we can raise wages and gain valuable benefits that can
improve our lives and the lives of our families. For example, child care
and home care workers in states across the nation have come together as
members of SEIU to secure raises that lift themselves and their
families out of poverty.
I have seen doors that were once bolted shut, slowly crack open and
are now opening a bit wider. Together, women in a seemingly “common”
position such as child care provider can do uncommonly great things that
make life better for all of us and our families
No comments:
Post a Comment